Thursday, May 31, 2007

Summer is Officially Here

This will be my (wait... let me count on my fingers)


... seventh summer in Central Oregon. After all these years, the one thing I've learned is to decipher which is a good indicator of summer's arrival and which is not.

Is it the near-90 degree temperatures? Nope, that can happen in mid-April.

Is it the opening of the Cascade Lakes Highway and the McKenzie pass? No... it can still be awfully cold then.

Is it the --Ohhhh, hold up-- what's that giant cloud of smoke I see coming from the general facility of Crooked River Ranch? What's that smokey smell in the air? Is that a forest service bomber I see up above me, flying directly over my house as it re-fills at the Redmond Airport?

OK. Our first official grass and forest fire of the season, prompting road closures and evacuations.

NOW it's summer.

He pauses, so that readers can get the full ice cream effect

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home